Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Labor Day.

I'd left the stone bee-hive on the Western coast
gone to do my Sunday duties
at the pub, closing the place after they all left
like finely herded cats,
some of them in a morose mood
with the coming of a new school year.

Then, having made the transition,
I was off.  The birthday of a friend
to save me after my period of exercise,
an adventure in a new part of town,
the glitter of the new,
shiny restaurants through big bright windows.

And so the next day I wake
feeling like a fake.
I've cheated at too many things,
not done the suggested number
of push-ups and squat thrusts
in sixth grade gym class before
the laps around the hardwood court.
I took the easy way out, too,
of reading Candide.
I let myself get distracted
from time to time.
And what did I do
with my college degree?
You're supposed to go and teach others,
but I never did.

Shower hot and tea of green,
Chinese Skullcap, Astragalus,
and I've got the armagnac digestif
and the two tried wines on the way
out of the system, a lazy start
upon the day.
Where did we go wrong,
what can we do to right it?
Clean up your act.

All this stuff goes through the head,
and I fold a shirt, wedge it neatly in a notepad,
fill a water bottle and get ready for work again.
Back to the tin soldiers,
armies of bottles,
parade of plates
and tabled firing range,
ice bucket platoons at the ready.

No comments: