Thursday, March 13, 2014

Cervantes:  The best time you have as a writer is before you are famous.  Unknown.  It is the best.  Then you can imitate everyone.  Like exercises.  Like watching guitar lessons on YouTube.  Hemingway would say something like this:  I was a bartender…  I went to get my groceries, and then I would come home and remember all the pretty girls I had seen, and then I would put away the things I had bought, so that I could eat on my own as my hours demanded, have a sort of restaurant for myself, except that it was always lonely, and I did not know what to do with that but bear it, few others having dinner but other shift workers.
Hemingway:  I would have to then imitate Roth, or someone.  How would I imitate Roth.  There's only one way to do that, from experience.  He is better at revealing that which we would like to do with the pretty girls we see.  Hi.  I'd like to buy you a drink.  no answer.  How about…  that's better.

No comments: