Monday, July 22, 2013

It's obvious.  As it's been through the Tour.  Froome on the podium.  Clean, honest, nothing to hide.  A word about his mom.  Downplaying heroism to the fullest extent allowed.  And it was, is refreshing.

Tavis Smiley, angry at the President on Meet the Press, sad, unable to express himself.  Angry with fellow commentators.  The President hasn't gone far enough.  Moderator does good job.  No one satisfied.  Shitty situation.  Really bad background.  But, but, but...  focus on the present.

Shane MacGowan, you want to hear someone sing?  Rainy Night in Soho, Japan, 1988.  Not everyone needs to be a professional opera singer to really do it.  The Irish, were you to racially profile them, can sing and write poetry.

I still think of her.  I don't think a day's gone by, I don't say to myself, 'crazy to bring flowers to a beautiful girl.'  It's in a book because it's from real life.  And like you or I, it still makes me emotional.  Meeting a smarter being, like meeting a psychiatrist...

And this is why Casablanca rings so many bells in so many people, talk about raw emotion.  "I thought I told you never to play that."  Bogart's Rick's twisted face, weather beaten enough, aged enough to register.  Even with the war going on, it's not something you, the viewer want for him to face, and yet he has to, and maybe in the end it will do him some cathartic good.


No comments: