Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Standing on the sidewalk on the sunny side of the street, accentuated by the faded ochre yellow of the closed antique store, they looked a bit like hatless cops, lawmen, in pressed black with white collars.  They came to the restaurant, and took two cocktails before heading down for dinner.  The news of Francis saying 'who am I to judge' was fresh as the sunny air, low humidity.  The tall one with a clean Roman haircut could not have known my literary interest in clerics, the true clerics of higher education, and seemed to draw within, as if suspicious of whom he should reveal sides of himself to, a flash of 'what are you looking at, boy?'  Perhaps it was an unholy thought on my part that cops like to speed.

One might have sensed, without prying, their look around, a cautious 'what does this all mean.'  Was now the issue out and they could be themselves?  What did it mean as far as law and order?  What does this mean about our own individual openness while we go about our business?  They dined downstairs by the window and I had no way to engage them in friendly chat, except when they came upstairs looking for the mens room, and the older guy seemed mellow, not completely unFrancis like as he passed by, the upstairs embroiled in a busy jazz night.

"They," generally speaking had elected him, using better judgment.  Some, previously, speaking out about corruption, had been exiled to the embassy in Washington to while away their time with easy dinners in acceptable restaurants.  And one wondered where any may have stood now, as far as exile.


A day later my shift was again drawn out.  Seeking a bit of exercise I took my bike up the hill, past the neighborhood where I used to work, wishing to take a look at a restaurant friends, former coworkers, had fixed up and taken over.  I was recognized, beckoned in.  Wishing only to taste some wine, I was offered a house-made limoncello, which, in camaraderie, I downed with my friends, 'to success.'  And then enjoyed a glass of Tempranillo and the conversation.

The next day, I feel it, nap extra before the shower before work.  Who am I to judge.

No comments: